Whitworth Wins Share of NWC Men's Soccer Crown

Whitworth Wins Share of NWC Men's Soccer Crown

Heather Bowman - Asst. SID

SPOKANE, Wash. - The Whitworth men's soccer team secured a share of the Northwest Conference title with a 3-1 win over visiting Whitman College Saturday afternoon. Puget Sound beat Pacific Lutheran 1-0 to allow the Pirates to tie the Lutes.

The Pirates (14-3-1, 12-2-0) had few opportunities at the net until the 20th minute when JT Meyer (Sr., MF, Olympia, Wash.) passed the ball to an unguarded Cameron Bushey (Sr., MF, Spokane, Wash.). Bushey took advantage and fired his shot into the top right corner of the net. The goal was Bushey's eighth of the season.

Kekoa Mountcastle (Jr., F, Waiehu, Hawaii) checked into the match not much later and made an immediate impact. Mountcastle bolted up the middle of the field where Robby Ubben (Fr., F, Gig Harbor, Wash.) touched the ball up to him. Mountcastle went one-on-one with the Missionary keeper and shot it low past him into the corner for a 2-0 lead.

The Pirates' first half scoring streak would not come to and end at two. Ubben, for his second assist on the match, advanced the ball to a streaking JT Meyer. Meyer received the pass and broke through the Whitman defense where he kicked the ball into the left side of the net.

In the opening of the second half the Missionaries (9-8-2, 9-5) refused to be finished yet. There was a close call three minutes into the 2nd half where Brian Sherpe (Sr., GK, Centennial, Colo.) loosely handled a shot then quickly recovered it for the save.

WC received another opportunity at 52:26 when they were awarded a corner kick. Jed Jacobson took the corner and sent it high into the air where Cooper Schumacher leaped in to head it in for a Missionary goal.

Both teams shot the ball 12 times in 90 minutes of play. Brian Sherpe made three saves, including a hard shot late that he blocked over the goal to keep the score 3-1.

With under a minute to play Whitman made a desparation play when their keeper, Michael Bathurst left his goal to attempt to convert another corner kick. The kick went long however, and the match would remain 3-1, Whitworth.