Jeremy Affeldt to Headline Pirate Night 2012
SPOKANE, Wash. – Spokane native Jeremy Affeldt, a pitcher for the San Francisco Giants, will be the featured speaker at the 18th annual Pirate Night Dinner and Auction on Friday, November 9th.
Pirate Night is one of the headline annual events for the Whitworth University department of athletics. This year’s dinner and auction will take place at the Spokane Convention Center for the first time. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m.
“We are honored to have Jeremy Affeldt as our featured speaker for Pirate Night,” said Aaron Leetch, Whitworth’s Director of Athletics. “Jeremy is a man of faith, a family man, and he uses his platform as a professional athlete to make a significant impact on the lives of others. Jeremy is a perfect match for Whitworth and our great event.”
Affeldt grew up in Spokane and attended Northwest Christian High School. He was a third-round draft choice by the Kansas City Royals in 1997. He has played in the major leagues for the Royals, Colorado Rockies, Cincinnati Reds and the Giants. He helped San Francisco win the World Series in 2010 and the Giants have returned to the National League Championship Series this fall.
Affedlt has been an important supporter of Not For Sale, an anti-child slavery program active all over the world.
The annual dinner and auction helps raise funds for Whitworth’s outstanding athletics program. The Pirates have won five consecutive Northwest Conference McIlroy-Lewis All-Sports Trophies.
Some of the items available for bid include:
• Dinner for eight with Whitworth President Beck Taylor and his wife, Julie, and Director of Athletics Aaron Leetch and his wife, Lindsay
• One week in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
• A Paris Boutique shopping trip
• Dinner for six at your home, prepared by Spokane Country Club Chef Frank Comito
• A vacation in a Maui beachfront condo
• Opportunities to get “up close and personal” with some of Whitworth’s athletics teams
If interested in attending, please contact the Athletics office at 509-777-3224.